Statutes of the Asian-Pacific Society on Thrombosis and Hemostasis
Name and Status
The Asian-Pacific Society of Thrombosis and Hemostasis, hereafter referred to as "APSTH", is a non-profit-making organization, which shall be open to any interested workers in the field of thrombosis and hemostasis in the Asian and Pacific regions.
The objectives of APSTH are:
(1) To foster and advance clinical and scientific knowledge in the field of thrombosis, hemostasis and vascular biology in the Asian and Pacific regions.
(2) To promote scientific exchange and cooperation through scientific meetings and publications.
(3) To promote international harmonization in clinical studies, standardization of nomenclature and practices in the Asian and Pacific regions.
The activities of APSTH will include:
(1) Yearly meeting of the Council representing the membership. The Council will identify and examine issues of mutual interests in Asian and Pacific regions and propose appropriate actions.
(2) To encourage and assist young and emerging clinicians and scientists in the Asian and Pacific regions to acquire an interest in the discipline and help them achieve their goals
(3) To sponsor international scientific conferences and symposiums for dissemination and exchange of ideas and information among APSTH members.
(4) To support the conduct of international or investigator driven clinical trials thus ensuring adequate inclusion of patients of relevant ethnic background
All the activities of APSTH shall be managed by The Executive Office and endorsed by the Council at its yearly meeting. .
Classes of membership. There shall be two classes of membership: Active, and Retired.
Active members. Candidates for this class should have an active clinical or scientific interest in thrombosis, hemostasis, or vascular biology. They are required to complete a membership application and submit this to the Executive Office.
Retired members. Active members who have retired from active employment may elect to become retired members.
Currently, no membership due is required.
The principal office of APSTH will be located at the Department of Laboratory Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Yamanashi, Shimokao 1110, Chou, Yamanashi 409-3898, Japan. (e-mail address: email@example.com)
Members of The Council will be active members of APSTH. Up to Three representatives from each country in the Asia and Pacific regions will be appointed to The Council. In countries where a regional society of hemostasis and thrombosis exist, that body should nominate their representative to the APSTH Council. Countries where such bodies do not exist as yet, will be represented by the country's more eminent experts in the field.
The Council will:
(1) Meet yearly to consider the affairs of the society
(2) approve the amendments of the Statutes and By-laws,
(3) elect members of the Executive Office,
(4) receive the reports and statements of accounts from the Executive Office,
(5) Plan the direction of the society
Meetings of The Council: The Council will meet yearly. On the even years, meetings will be held at the time of Congress of the Society and on the odd years the meeting will occur on a defined date during the Congress of the International Society of Hemostasis and Thrombosis. A quorum for the meetings is required and this is defined as a minimum of 50% of The Council membership.
Officers of the Society
The officers of the society will include the Chairman of The Council, the Executive Officer/Treasurer, the Editor and the President of the forthcoming Congress of the Society. These individuals will form the Executive Office of the Council and will manage the society on a day to day basis reporting their activities at the yearly Council meeting.
The Chairman of The Council will preside over The Council meetings and is ultimately responsible for all decisions made. Appointment for the Chair position will be by nomination by members of the Council. At least two nominations will be required for the position of Chairman. In the event that there is more than one nomination, a silent vote will be carried out either prior to or during the Council meeting. The Chairman will occupy the position for a period no longer than three years.
The Executive Officer/Treasurer will be the Chief Operational officer of the Society. He will maintain a log of the Society's membership and will be responsible for the day to day running of the society and its needs. He will also act as the treasurer of the society maintaining the accounts society and performing other duties as directed by The Council.
The Editor will be responsible for the publication of the newsletter. This publication will appear every 6 months and feature activities and news form the Asia Pacific region relevant to the field of hemostasis and thrombosis.
The President will be the host of the forthcoming biennial meeting.
Scientific conferences for the entire membership of APSTH will be held every second year. Nominations for President and Conference sites may be made by any APSTH member. A formal presentation to The Council at the yearly meeting will be followed by the final decision made by The Council. In the event that two or more sites express an interest in organizing the conference, the Council will vote for the preferred site. APSTH assumes full responsibility for its Conference. The President of the Conference acts as representative of APSTH in arranging and paying for all functions of the meeting. He/she will also be a member of the Executive Office.